How to become a Foster Parent
The process to become a foster parent usually takes between 4 and 6 months. It is a comprehensive system to ensure that all children are provided safe, stable and caring homes but we will be here to support you from start to finish and beyond.
1) During an initial phone call, we would provide you with information, answer any questions that you may have and find out a little about your living arrangements to help determine whether fostering is right for you.
2) Further information would then be posted to you to enable you to gain a better understanding of both Xcel 2000 and of fostering in general.
3) Two of our team would visit you at your home to discuss fostering, give you the opportunity to ask further questions and if appropriate, invite you to complete an application form to become a foster parent.
4) On receipt of your application form, you would be allocated an assessing social worker. They would visit you several times to complete a report showing your suitability to foster. The assessing social worker would also need to speak to the other people living in your home, including any children you have. Various checks and references would be completed and you would need to be declared fit by your GP - we would act on your behalf to get this information.
5) To equip you to be able to provide the best care to young people coming into your home, you would also attend our 2 day "Skills to Foster" training. This would be organised around your existing commitments wherever possible.
6) Your information would be presented to our panel at a foster panel meeting, which you would be part of. You would be told the panels receommendation at the end of the meeting and, if succesful, invited to sign a foster care agreement and approved to be a foster parent.
We look forward to hearing from you and helping you to become a foster parent. You can either call us directly on: 0845 094 5651 or complete our contact form below.