How to become a Foster Parent
Becoming a foster parent usually takes between 4 and 6 months. It is a comprehensive system to ensure that all children are provided with safe, stable and caring homes but we will be here to support you from start to finish and beyond.
* During an initial phone call, we would have a chat with you to answer any questions that you may have about fostering and to find out a little about your living arrangements to help determine whether fostering was right for you.
* Further information would then be posted or emailed to you for you to gain a better understanding of both Xcel 2000 as an organisation and of fostering in general.
* If you felt that this was the right time for you to foster, two of our team would visit you at your home to discuss fostering in more depth. This would give you the opportunity to ask further questions and for us to find out more about your suitability. If appropriate, we would then invite you to complete an application form to become a foster parent.
* When your completed application form was recieved, we would allocate you an assessing social worker. They would visit you several times to gather information to show why you would make a fantastic foster parent. The assessing social worker would need to speak to all of the people living in your home, including any children you have.
* We would carry out local authority and police checks and get neccessary references to include in your suitability to foster report.
* To equip you to be able to provide the best care to young people coming into your home, you would also attend our 2 day "Skills to Foster" course and complete first aid, managing challenging behaviour and safeguarding training. This would be organised around your existing commitments wherever possible.
* Once all of the required information had been gathered, your information would be shared with a panel of people with expertise in various areas such as health, education or having experience of being in care. You would be invited in to meet with the panel so that they could ask any questions which they had from reading the information shared. You would be told the panels receommendation at the end of the meeting and if succesful, invited to sign a foster care agreement and be approved to be a foster parent.
We look forward to hearing from you. You can either call us directly on: 0845 094 5651 or complete our contact form below.