top of page

Childrens Guide

Hi there I am xxxxxxx I was created by one of the young people who lives with a family with The Hazel Project ??? I will take you through this guide and answer some of the questions you may have and tell what you can do if you are not happy. 

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • LinkedIn
  • Instagram

“Fostering is about looking after children in a safe and secure home when they can’t live with their own families”

Xcel 2000

Xcel 2000 is part of an organisation called The Hazel Project. Everyone who works here who will do all they can to help children just like you when they are being looked after by one of their Foster Parents. They will make sure you go to the school that is best for you and that you keep in contact with the people important in your life.


Xcel 2000 has something called a STATEMENT OF PURPOSE that tells you all the things they do and things they think are important for you. 


Your Social Worker will also be able to talk to you more about this and how long you will be staying. 

Meet your Team

Who's who?

Your social worker (SW): works for the Local Authority in which your family lives.  He/she will visit you regularly to see how you are doing, they will make sure that you are safe and being well looked after.   They will listen to your wishes and feelings and do what they feel is best for you and your family.  

Write your social worker's name and number here. 

Independent Reviewing Officer (IRO): They make sure everyone, especially you, has the chance to say what you think and how you are feeling. They complete a special form called a “Care Plan”.  

Write your Independent Reviewing Officers name and number here.

Advocate: this is someone that can help you have your say, they have lots of experience working with children and young people.  They will listen to any concerns you may have and help you put things right.  They can help you write a letter, make telephone calls and prepare for any meetings.  They can also help you to make a complaint if needed.  Every Local Authority has their own advocate.  Speak to your Foster Parent, social worker or ask them to contact The Hazel Project and we will find out the details for you.  

Fostering Supervisor........

Can you see your fostering Supervisor below?new child welcome letter

NB - link to new child welcome letter

Why do I have meetings and what are they for?

What about school?

What about school? 

Can I stay at my school? - Some children are able to stay at their school. Your Social Worker and Foster Parents will explain what the plan is for you. 


What if I have to change schools? - when you  move to your Foster Parents  you may need to change schools.  Your Foster Parents will help you to do this and visit any schools near to your Foster Family home. 


Who will help me? - The Hazel Project has an Education Team that will help with finding the best school for you.  They will meet with you and find out your wishes and interests. 


They are Carol Lee and Vicky Shanahan - we believe that education is important for every child because it is where you learn new things and make new friends.

Children's Rights 

What are Children’s rights - Children and young people have rights and these are written down in something called the Children & Families Act 2014 and in the UN Convention on the Rights of the child. 


As a child you have the right to be: 

  • treated fairly and with respect

  • listened to

  • offered education

  • other things that will enable you to enjoy your life 


What is a Children’s Commissioner - A Children’s Commissioner is someone who is there to make sure your rights are respected and that you get offered the best help available. 


A Children’s Commissioner can: 

  • give you advice about what your rights are

  • explain what Social Services can do to help you

  • listen to what is happening in your life 

  • speak to the other people for you, if you want that

  • make sure other people know what your rights are


Who can get help from a Children’s Commissioner - You can get help from a Children’s Commissioner if you: 

  • already have a Social Worker or receive help from Social Services

  • think you need a Social Worker or help from Social Services

You can contact your Children’s Commissioner, 

Rachel De Souza 


0207 783 8330. 

What to do if you are not happy?

All the time you are living with one of our Hazel Project Foster Families you will be treated with respect and dignity. They will offer help, support and encouragement, they will look after you and keep you informed of important things in your life. 


We hope you will be happy but if for any reason you are not this is what you can do. 


Your Foster Parents, Social Worker or The Hazel Project staff will usually be able to sort out any problems you are having. They will listen to you and make sure you are being treated fairly and well. 

No one will be cross with you for complaining. 


If you don’t want to do that you can see Stephanie who is the complaints person and explain things to her. Your Foster Parent or someone at The Hazel Project will contact her for you and she will arrange to see you and get things sorted out. 


However, if you are still not happy Stephanie can help you to contact Ofsted. Ofsted is an organisation that makes sure companies like The Hazel Project are doing their job properly. The person you need to contact is: 

The Chief Inspector - Telephone: 0300 123 1231


The following organisations can provide you with an ‘independent advocate’, who is someone else who can help you sort out problems: 


Coram Voice - Telephone: 0808 800 5792 


National Youth Advocacy Service - Telephone: 0808 808 1001 (freephone again)


We hope your stay with your Foster Parents will be happy.


I'm always looking for new and exciting opportunities. Let's connect.


bottom of page